Barbulanympha (barb-you-lah-nymph-a) is one of the trichonymphid hypermastigid flagellates found, in this vase, in the guts of the wood-eating cockroach, Cryptocercus. the flagella arise from the anterior portion of the cell, the most anterior region is a small rostrum. Strands, the parabasal apparatus, extend from the flagella down over the cell to the region of the single large nucleus. The parabasal apparatus is comprised of cytoskeletal fibres and associated dictyosomes. Differential interference contrast. This picture was taken by David Patterson, Hope Ritter, and Mark Farmer of material from the intestines of the wood-eating roach, Cryptocercus. Image copyright: D. J. Patterson, Hope Ritter and M. Farmer, image used under license to MBL (micro*scope).
download as pdf file
download large file
From the collection
Cryptocercus - wood eating roach
|Description of Barbulanympha: Large hypermastigid (113-200µm) with a cell body rounded and a flagellated obtuse anterior rostrum terminated by a bare cap. The two triangular flagellar areas are separated by ectoplasmic bands. Thin parabasal fibres form a lamella lying under the basal bodies. These fibres, beyond the rostrum, support parabasal bodies and are arranged around the nucleus. Axostylar fibres formed by rows of 6-7 microtubules originate from the apex and follow the course of the parabasal fibres, but extend beyond the nucleus. One set of privileged basal bodies is attached on the top of each flagellar area. Two long atractophores are appended to each flagellar area and polarize the external spindle at division. When the two hemi-rostra separate, each daughter cell regenerates a new hemi-rostrum and thus symmetry is restored. Barbulanympha is the largest hypermastigid in Cryptocercus punctulatus and B. laurabuda is the type species of the four known species. Light microscopy by Cleveland et al. (1934) and Cleveland (1953); EM by Hollande and Valentin (1967) and Hollande and Carruette-Valentin (1971). Type species: Barbulanympha laurabuda Cleveland, Hall, Sanders & Collier, 1934. |